Looking at my watch, I knew I may miss out on the curtain call at shows end (3.45pm) seeing that I would have to flee back to the hotel by 4.00pm to catch a cab with the rest of the family, for the wedding scheduled for 4.30pm! For that very reason, I had 'dressed' up already - all made up, my LBD and comfy flats. Grateful for Melbourne's cold weather, I needn't worry about sweating arm-pits!
Right now, at exactly 1.00pm, it's showtime! Curtains up and the all too familiar overture starts playing, followed by the opening number "No one mourns the wicked". I remember I am wearing mascara, so I do not cry! There's something unexplainable about hearing musicals live - always brings me to tears! (I cried through 2 hours of 'Miss Saigon')
I remember being totally distraught upon learning of Wicked closing its Australian/Melbourne run in January of this year. Whilst in Perth, I had toyed with the idea of escaping for a weekend away in Melbourne, just to catch the show before it ended. Usually for shows like this in NYC or London, it runs for a minimum of 18 months. I wasn't too sure if Melbourne would do likewise! Sure glad they did!
Except for the guy who played Fiyero (I believe was an understudy) , I had the privilege of watching the principal Australian cast. Still with the original NYC cast in my head, my only 'complaint' was the Aussie casts' singing were a little thin, comparatively. The ensemble, however, was brilliant and just so riveting that I couldn't keep my eyes off them! Their quirky costumes and dances were captivating that I sometimes missed some scenes with the main characters! Thank goodness I already know the plot of the story pretty well, to not miss out on too much!
As planned, at 3.45pm the curtain fell and I flew out of the theatre!
We made it to the wedding at 4.30pm.
(Kristin Cheno & Idina Menzel; Kristin's last night from NYC's run -she's really crying! so am I!!)
1 comment:
Hey, lucky you! You got to watch 'Wicked'! I am in awe...
Post a Comment