He tells the Kids, he's old to which M interjected promptly "that means you're dying soon, Dad. I'll be so sad!" hehe..
Anyway in the spirit of birthdays, unlike many other couples, gifts-giving were never really a big thing between us. That's not to say presents weren't/aren't welcomed! I am still a girl! Way back in our BC (Before Children) days, he would send me beautiful bouquets of roses for birthdays and valentines. Then the stark reality of him 'wasting' all that money would hit me right between the eye! Whatever it is, that money could be better utilised for his schooling (read university) expenses. Back then he worked weekend nights in a restaurant for pocket money; and wasn't paid a whole lot of money - 'Student' labour were cheap labour for restauranteurs! So we agreed, no presents. Instead, we opted for nice dinners. At least, with dinners, we could indulge our appetites for different cuisines ever so available in our city. Flowers? You can't eat them and they die in a week!
Back to this post!
This morning, I put on my Executive Chef hat and summoned my 2 little helpers -Sous Chef J and De Parte Chef M- putting them on baking duty. Since Mr. Darcy always enjoyed my Buttercake, it would have to be a Madeira Cake. I wrote out the recipe for Sous Chef to manage. He would be in charge of identifying and measuring the ingredients, while De Parte Chef M was in charge of the Breville Stand Mixer. Her duty was to ensure that the mixer stays on '4' for 'creaming'. My job was a simple one; ensuring that the work-area wasn't strewn with flour and eggshells, pouring the cake mixture into the prepared pan and into the preheated oven. It just too bad the oven is out in the alfresco area because the aroma of the buttercake was delicious! I was proud of my Little Chefs. They did an excellent job with De Parte Chef M licking the mixing bowl clean, of course!
I scoured my fridge and pantry for topping ingredients. Spotting half a packet of Dark Chocolate Couveture from the Margaret River Chocolate Factory, I knew a Dark Chocolate Ganache would be perfect. Mr. Darcy isn't a fan of chocolates in general but he can never resist Dark Chocolates. So while the madeira was baking (I am thinking right now, there may be a slight chance that my oven themometer may not be working as my cake came out too well done, even before the baking time was up) I whipped up the ganache. I am always amazed at how easy it is to make chocolate ganache and its always a winner with the eaters! As the cake and the ganache were cooling, I scoured my fridge once more and found some Ferrero Rondnair.
Hence the Ferrero Rondnair Madeira Chocolate Ganache Cake. Yes, very much like my penchant for naming very lame post titles, it's also very much evident in cake naming skills too!
Anyway, Mr. Darcy was impressed and loved it! So sweet of him, ya?
1 comment:
Itu dia..
Happy Bday Sir. From Us Wongs.
So good to have such capable little executive assistants in the bake house. ;-)
Post a Comment