What can I say?
I wished I had caught this show on the big screen much earlier. But alas, now my life with kids, going out to the movies is the thing of the past. Nonetheless, I loved the show nevermind it being on DVD!
I scoured the net for BJ reviews.
Which, turned out to be a big-mistake, as i got majorly annoyed at the mixed reviews the show received (more specifically, the BAD ones!!). Many conflicting opinions on what I perceive to be a very simple, truly heartfelt depiction of the illusive life of Jane. a speculated, emotive and thought provoking story of a romance found wanting, that is certain to tug at your heart strings for weeks on end!
I AM, afterall, a true romantic at heart and being a poignant film that it is, BJ impressed me for a long time. I've watched the DVD that many times (my 3 year old daughter, knows now that's "mommy's show") replaying my most favourite pieces and still be so overwhelmed (and miffed at the same time). Yes, scenes such as The Ball and The Kiss finds me skipping a heartbeat each time!
Jane Austen: [she has just kissed him] Did I do that well?
Tom Lefroy: Very. Very well.
Jane Austen: I wanted, just once, to do it well.
Tom Lefroy: I am yours, heart and soul. Much good that is.
Jane Austen: Let me decide that
Of course, you will catch me weeping at scenes where (that imperious uncle of Tom, has just rejected the notion of Tom and Jane's union) Tom had to let Jane go and when Tom pleads in earnest for Jane to not leave him after reason had subdued Jane not elope afterall. out of this, comes the most profound of statement about truths and of love..
Tom : no, Jane..I will never give you up..Dont speak or think.. just love me.. Do you love me ?
Jane : yes, but if our love destroys your family, it will destroy itself ..
Tom : No ...
Jane : yes, in a long, slow degradation of guilt and regret and blame
Tom : that is nonsense
Jane : truth, made from contradiction, but it must come with a smile.. or else i shall count it as a false and we shall have had no love at all .. Good bye ...
And the dam burst again at the end, seeing how very much afflicted Tom still was upon seeing Jane again perhaps after 15 years! Tom was still tormented by his affection and devotion for Jane, which was so very evident in his eyes. and oh, the tension i can sense, when he introduces his daughter, Jane to Jane! Yes, although knowing how this had to end, privately i still held my breath, wishing that Jane and Tom would end-up together in the end. drats!
knowing very well, how this film had to end, i still found myself very much distraught at the idea that this girl, who gives her heroines romantic happy endings, did not, in her short life, find the love. that someone so noble and good, would trade her own happily-ever-after, for the happiness of others. i felt pity for her at the same time, so proud of her. i felt angered at Tom, yet sympathise with him. even if the plot is somewhat deviant from what really happened (still a matter of contention amongst true Austen followers!), the film sits well with me...
it is these characters of JA that got me thinking at length about myself, my life, my own perspective, my aptitude (i hope) for what is noble and right, at how much I can identify with Jane on that. I marvelled at her selflessness and courage to take and make the unsurpassable sacrifice, being her own happiness. Her pursuit for noble decisions, as oppose to frivolous choices, is one i truly admire and esteem. Yet, she is no means a weakling or a conformist in any way! She is fiercely independent and single-minded, does not lack ambition yet has a healthy regard and respect for the order and boundaries of the day. Amongst her many predictaments, I am sure, other than of being an unmarried woman of her time, she deftly finds solace and perfectly breathes life into her writings, altogether beautiful, witty and truly inspirational.
Inspite of all the review (i am guilty of agreeing with SOME of them!) i loved the film. And like so many JA fans, is my favourite romance film for thus far.
Jane Austen: Could I really have this?
Tom Lefroy: What, precisely?
Jane Austen: You.
Tom Lefroy: Me, how?
Jane Austen: This life with you.
Tom Lefroy: Yes.
ahh, be still me beating heart....
I wished I had caught this show on the big screen much earlier. But alas, now my life with kids, going out to the movies is the thing of the past. Nonetheless, I loved the show nevermind it being on DVD!
I scoured the net for BJ reviews.
Which, turned out to be a big-mistake, as i got majorly annoyed at the mixed reviews the show received (more specifically, the BAD ones!!). Many conflicting opinions on what I perceive to be a very simple, truly heartfelt depiction of the illusive life of Jane. a speculated, emotive and thought provoking story of a romance found wanting, that is certain to tug at your heart strings for weeks on end!
I AM, afterall, a true romantic at heart and being a poignant film that it is, BJ impressed me for a long time. I've watched the DVD that many times (my 3 year old daughter, knows now that's "mommy's show") replaying my most favourite pieces and still be so overwhelmed (and miffed at the same time). Yes, scenes such as The Ball and The Kiss finds me skipping a heartbeat each time!Jane Austen: [she has just kissed him] Did I do that well?
Tom Lefroy: Very. Very well.
Jane Austen: I wanted, just once, to do it well.
Tom Lefroy: I am yours, heart and soul. Much good that is.
Jane Austen: Let me decide that
Of course, you will catch me weeping at scenes where (that imperious uncle of Tom, has just rejected the notion of Tom and Jane's union) Tom had to let Jane go and when Tom pleads in earnest for Jane to not leave him after reason had subdued Jane not elope afterall. out of this, comes the most profound of statement about truths and of love..
Tom : no, Jane..I will never give you up..Dont speak or think.. just love me.. Do you love me ?Jane : yes, but if our love destroys your family, it will destroy itself ..
Tom : No ...
Jane : yes, in a long, slow degradation of guilt and regret and blame
Tom : that is nonsense
Jane : truth, made from contradiction, but it must come with a smile.. or else i shall count it as a false and we shall have had no love at all .. Good bye ...
And the dam burst again at the end, seeing how very much afflicted Tom still was upon seeing Jane again perhaps after 15 years! Tom was still tormented by his affection and devotion for Jane, which was so very evident in his eyes. and oh, the tension i can sense, when he introduces his daughter, Jane to Jane! Yes, although knowing how this had to end, privately i still held my breath, wishing that Jane and Tom would end-up together in the end. drats! knowing very well, how this film had to end, i still found myself very much distraught at the idea that this girl, who gives her heroines romantic happy endings, did not, in her short life, find the love. that someone so noble and good, would trade her own happily-ever-after, for the happiness of others. i felt pity for her at the same time, so proud of her. i felt angered at Tom, yet sympathise with him. even if the plot is somewhat deviant from what really happened (still a matter of contention amongst true Austen followers!), the film sits well with me...
it is these characters of JA that got me thinking at length about myself, my life, my own perspective, my aptitude (i hope) for what is noble and right, at how much I can identify with Jane on that. I marvelled at her selflessness and courage to take and make the unsurpassable sacrifice, being her own happiness. Her pursuit for noble decisions, as oppose to frivolous choices, is one i truly admire and esteem. Yet, she is no means a weakling or a conformist in any way! She is fiercely independent and single-minded, does not lack ambition yet has a healthy regard and respect for the order and boundaries of the day. Amongst her many predictaments, I am sure, other than of being an unmarried woman of her time, she deftly finds solace and perfectly breathes life into her writings, altogether beautiful, witty and truly inspirational.
Inspite of all the review (i am guilty of agreeing with SOME of them!) i loved the film. And like so many JA fans, is my favourite romance film for thus far.
Jane Austen: Could I really have this?Tom Lefroy: What, precisely?
Jane Austen: You.
Tom Lefroy: Me, how?
Jane Austen: This life with you.
Tom Lefroy: Yes.
ahh, be still me beating heart....
No comments:
Post a Comment