Friday

Another week's gone by at home-soil. To begin with Mom left earlier in the week to harvest her rice. With much trepidation Dad will be joining her soon; again they had another tiff. Sometimes I wonder at these folks. I often ask Mr. Darcy if we'll up like that. He assures me most confidently, "No, we don't have to"...

We spent the day sorting out business matters and now just knackered from all that travelling! I think the Kids had fun; they got a chance to meet up with the cousins again, albeit briefly. Got home very late afternoon, just in time for the boys to help Dad fix the poolside fence. In no time, the Kids jumped into the pool with M singing cheerily whilst squirting water at the fence-mending boys. I can hear Mr.Darcy admonishing her from time to time as their tools were getting quite wet! I, prepared dinner of our staple steamed-fish plus other dishes, magically concocted from dried up vegies in the fridge! The "Tuhau" and "Bambangan" Mr. Darcy bought from the road-side stall earlier, made dinner extra scrumptious; not that my dishes weren't already scrumptious!

Now in the quietness of the evening, I reflect on an MSN chat I just had with a friend. I had inquired how business was in her neck of the woods, to which she tells me is bleak and not looking at improving anytime soon. I felt for her and her staff, who were once my colleague. These girls were taking a 10% wage cut and an imminent layoff of ONE staff if things were not looking up in the next 3 months - they are to choose among themselves WHO is to go! The horrors of an economic downturn. You read about it, you see it happen on the news, its a hot topic at conversations, many lose sleep over it and it affects lives, many lives.

I cannot know for myself how that feels. I cannot say I understand because I am not, or rather, no longer in the same boat. As far as they are concerned, I have taken off on a cruiseliner! true. I feel spared from the turmoils and heartaches of the economic downturn;I am none the wiser for which, I am trully thankful...

No comments: